Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bridging my Passion with my Past.



Being an elite athlete sometimes is hard. Being so passionate about my sport, the workouts I do, and the accomplishments I achieve... sometimes people just don't understand me. After God and family it's what I get fired up for and excited about... what I have to do that day, how am I feeling, will it effect the workouts I have scheduled, and so on and so on. I am what most people call obsessed... I call it disciplined ;-)

Being a Physical Education teacher, after being away from it for several years, gets me even that much more excited about all of the aspects wrapped around leading and living a healthy lifestyle. I am in a school where the students truly need me and I go to work everyday looking forward to helping them be successful and putting a smile on their face. See, a lot of these children come from situations that are similar to mine growing up. An environment where addiction to drugs or alcohol is a daily struggle that they must be witness to and endure through.

It's a hard way to grow up and most of us end up falling victim to the habits we saw modeled for so many years... but not all of us.

Now, I have found a way to bridge my passion for health and exercise with my past of having to see relatives suffer through addiction for so many years. Enter- Runwell. A nonprofit organization that has at its heart and soul, a mission to shed light on the struggles associated with addiction. An organization that is passionate about helping people trade their habits of addiction in for habits of health! After researching the organization and several face to face meetings and phone conferences with the founder- Linda Quirk and VP of Marketing- Pam Rickard, it became very clear to me that I had to be a part of what these great people were working so hard to do. Now I am an ambassador for Runwell and I look forward to representing them and working with them for a long time to come! If you have a moment, please take a look at the Runwell website at http://www.runwell.com/ to see what they are all about. In the months to come I will share more of the great things that I get to do by being a part of this organization and will even reach out to you all to give you a chance to be a part of something bigger than us. If you are like me, you know someone that has struggled with addiction and this is our chance to reach out and help make a difference in their lives. I will keep you posted and in the meantime, continue to Runwell!

No comments:

Post a Comment