Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Richmond Marathon Week = Nerves and Excitement.


Well... it's almost time. Time to intentionally hurt myself for what will hopefully be less than three hours. I can honestly say I am totally nervous about doing this. There is no way I will be near the leaders for this one, but what makes this such an anxious event for me is this is the first time I will be running a Marathon with a goal time in mind. 

Anything can happen while running a Marathon but I am confident that I will achieve a Personal Best time on Saturday, even if I hit "The Wall" after mile 20. My fitness is there and the training was done... that combined with my current PR time means I will do that. But I have set the bar very high this time for myself. I will be going for something I have never done or attempted before thus the nerves and self-questioning. As my friend Colin has told me over and over this year... no matter what I say, I have to consider myself a runner at the paces I am getting to. Even with all of the joy I have experienced this year running, training, and developing new friendships it doesn't make doing a Marathon like this any easier!

You can track my progress by clicking on the picture.

Saturday will be a huge test for me, physically and mentally, but I’m as ready as I can be to do battle with myself to achieve my goal. I am Anxious to get started and Excited to get it over with! The good news is this has been something in the making over time. I have done the Richmond Marathon three other times and the course has hardly changed so I know what to expect. I have had a ton of people cheering me on all season and that has been truly appreciated more than you all will ever know. I have also become a part of a great organization in Runwell that supports a cause I believe in and been invited to be a part of the Roanoke Valley Elite Track and Field Club which is a huge honor. So like a sleeping volcano, here I sit trying to appear unassuming and calm while underneath the emotions and energy of it all are building within me waiting to be unleashed. I am ready to stare myself down and prove to those voices of doubt that I can do this. I will do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment