Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Almost Time to Get 2014 Started.

After a long block of Winter training it is almost time get things going for the 2014 racing season. I have been working hard over the last four months to build myself up on a strong foundation that has consisted of the following weekly training:
  • Weight Training 3days/ week
  • Swimming 3days/ week
  • Running 5-6 days/ week
  • Cycling 5-6 days/ week
As the 2013 season ended, I started focusing on being more consistent with my running and coming off the Richmond Marathon in November I carried that conditioning into the off-season. I also knew I was going to focus more on triathlon's this year so I had to make sure I was getting a lot of quality time in the pool. With the help of my swim coach, Lindsey Jones, I have seen my times come down and I feel much more at home in the water. This Winter I needed to increase my power on the bike so I have worked my tail off in the gym in an attempt to get the watts I need to be more competitive at the national level on the bike.

Last week was my first time trials in the water for 2014 and my times looked good and I felt strong. I know I have a lot of work to do and Lindsey is really pushing me to do more IM work to be a more rounded swimmer. I don't like it but it is working. As part of my running program, I have been doing a tempo run every Thursday and I was very happy that I was able to hold my current 5k pace comfortably for ten minutes as part of the last workout. This past Saturday was my first timed power test on the bike and although I was fairly pleased with my wattage output, I have a lot of work to do on developing my power endurance. I see a lot of time spent in Scott Moir's garage in my future to make this happen.

I am really excited to get my multi-sport season going to begin representing my sponsors:

Trysports.com- for all of my general needs in all three disciplines. They have a great selection of products and sponsor a team as a way to give back to the comunity that made them.
Hammer Nutrition- this is a company that I have been a part of for a few years now and I truly love their products. If you haven't tried them click the banner on the right to save big on your first order!
Headsweats- I have been using thier products for years and now I get to officially represent them. They are the reason that I now prefer to wear a visor of a hat.
Feetures!- These are by far the best socks on the market and the Elite brand is durable and provides great arch support. As a Fleet Feet mentor/coach I was introduced to Feetures! and these are my socks of choice now.
Rudy Project- I have known Paul Craig of Rudy Project since my days as a cyclist at Virginia Tech and this a brand that I proudly represent. I have used their sunglasses for more than ten years and now also wear thier helmets exclusively. Rudy Project also helped sponsor a fall training video that I had the pleasure of being a part of with Endurance Films as well.

So just like last year I will start off my season with the Triad Duathlon Series in February and March put on by Trivium Racing. This is a great series and the last race is a Regional Duathlon Event so the competition should be more challenging. Being a member of the Roanoke Valley Elite Running Team this year is a big motivator to get faster in the run, so I will also sprinkle in a few local 5k's to help sharpen test myself against the local speedsters. Be sure to check out my calendar at the bottom of my blog page to see where I will be racing next and hopefully I will see you on the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment