Monday, October 6, 2014

A Great Runners Get-Away


Sometimes its nice just to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and this past weekend that is exactly what I did. I loaded up the car, grabbed my new girl, Bella, and headed out of town to experience something I have never done before but will definitely do again. Through the power of Google I found an awesome little hide away along the Appalachian Trail called the Woods Hole Hostel & Mountain Retreat located a half a mile from the AT. I thought running the Trail was going to be the highlight of the trip but boy-o-boy was I wrong. Woods Hole is run by Neville and Michael, two wonderful people working hard to fulfill a dream of creating a communal living environment for hikers and urban escapees alike and they are doing a wonderful job! The cabin was built in 1880 and Neville's grandparents, Tillie & Roy Wood, purchased the property in 1942 and opened the bunkhouse to hikers in 1986. After her grandmothers passing Neville took over and has been working hard to keep the tradition going. 

I knew this was a different kind of weekend trip as soon as I put my car in four wheel drive to get there because I was unsure of the quality of the road ahead leading me there. As we pulled up to the farmhouse we were excited to jump out and explore. Bella began barking as soon as she saw the goats, chickens, and other dogs roaming around the property. After a quick unload of our gear and some introductions we headed for the Appalachian Trail to explore. 


Saturday we headed out past Big Horse Gap for a run before dinner to see what kind of view we could find. After running for about 25-30 minutes we made it to Big Horse and after another eight minutes we came to a section of the trail that took a hard right down a fire road. I also noticed that if I went left up the old fire road away from the AT I may get rewarded with a view and man was I right!! The view was absolutely spectacular and if you want to see it, you will have to explore it! I loved the views and Bella loved the running so we were both more than happy to continue.

After enjoying an afternoon in the woods we headed back to the Hostel to relax for the evening. I arrived back to my room, showered up and immediately found myself in the kitchen over the stove cooking part of the nights meal. All of us had a part in making sure that we got fed that night and what was amazing about the whole experience was how all of us not only did our part, but carried on conversations like we had known each other for years... sharing stories about hiking, life, or whatever came up. It was absolutely a marvelous experience and big kudos to Micheal and Neville for making it happen.
Making my way into the Kitchen.


Some worked at the table...

and some worked on the stove.

Once we finished dinner, everyone once again pitched in to do their part and help with clean up. After some more good conversations with Micheal and the hikers it was time for bed. There are several options on how you stay so check them all out and see which one suits your needs based on the weather, your finances, and your comfort level. 

The following morning I was awakened by a beautiful sunrise beaming into my window and the wonderful smells of coffee brewing. As I made my way downstairs I grabbed some coffee and jumped right in to do my part of getting breakfast ready for the group prior to the days run. 
Great morning view!!

Great morning conversations at the dinning room table.


So after a great morning at the Farm House and some advice on where to run from Micheal, we headed out to start the days adventure on the AT... this time in the other direction. Once again we were rewarded with a stunning view and a wonderful running loop on parts of the AT and on local fire roads. It was an absolutely rejuvenating weekend experience that allowed me to get away from the distractions of society and spend time with my girl, Bella, and reconnect with the beauty that is all around us. I not only recommend that you put a trip to Woods Hole on your "To Do" list, but you can bet that we will be back on a regular basis! Thank you to Michael for your hospitality, and Neville... can't wait to meet you on our next trip there.

No comments:

Post a Comment