Sunday, November 2, 2014

Greenway Memory Miler Race Report

Yesterday was my first race back after being away from it for five months. I have gotten my training back on track and was ready to see where my fitness was as I prepare for the Seashore 50K in December.

There weather was a brisk sub 40 degree start and as I lined up I didn't know what to expect. My only goal was to treat the race as a tempo run and try to push a consistent pace. It was great to be lined up again and I was reunited with a lot of friends I had not seen all summer. It was a mass start for both the 4 and 10 mile distances and as we started, my Roanoke Valley Elite teammate, Andrew Parkins, immediately set pace at the front with Ed Dickinson hot on his heels. I knew both of them were running the 4 mile race so I let them go and just worked on keeping to my goal.

Andrew Parkins leading us out!

Settling into a comfortable pace.

So as I settled in I was just under my goal pace for the first mile and at the 4 mile race turn around, to my surprise, I was in the lead! Andrew was blistering to the finish of the 4 mile race, which he won, and cheered me on as we passed each other. I continued to keep my pace right at or below my goal all the way to the 10 mile turn around and as I looked for the second placed runner, I passed Eric Fonville well over a quarter mile behind. I passed another group of two runners a little bit behind him so I kept my pace going. At mile seven I saw Andrew cooling down and asked him if he could see anyone behind me. He said I was all alone so I turned my pace down a bit and cruised it in.

A mile to go and headed in for the Win!
It was a great day for Roanoke Valley Elite, with Andrew and I both winning our races. I am very happy with my unexpected result after such a long time off. The next two months will see me in action almost every weekend (see my training/racing calendar below) leading up to the 50K and then I will get started with my preparations for the 2015 season. With such a long time away, it feels good to be back in my element and I hope to have some more successes in the races to come!

First Place Overall!

Andrew and I pull off the
 RV Elite sweep.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ed and Andrew! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve... It feels good to get back out there and hopefully Roanoke Valley Elite will keep upping the tempo!

      Delete
  2. That's awesome. Big congrats to you. I like that shot from overhead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Me too! A buddy of mine was on a bridge that we ran under. Really cool shot by a really cool guy!

      Delete